Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Cabernet in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

Saturday, July 17, 2010

SLOW AND HOT

This week has been another slow and HOT week here in west Missouri.

We have been under a heat alert most of the week and about all you want to do is stay in the a/c.

We had a big scare Wednesday night when Lady the 10 year old dog was out on the deck and went down in her back legs and could not get up. She weights about 100 lbs. I picked her up in the back and got her to stand but she went back down.

Lady has had arthritis for the last couple years and has a hard time getting up off the floor.Mentally she is sharp but her back legs are worn out and she’s over weight.

 

She loved to ride on our golf cart..

DSC00677

After I couldn't get her up and watching her drag her self to get in the door we thought it was her time to go to doggy heaven. I had to get a buddy next door to help get her in my truck so we could go to the Animal Emergency Center.

It was a very sad ride there as we thought we were going to put her to sleep so Angela was in the back seat with her saying her good byes. We got to the emergency vet and got her carried in and laid on the floor. The doctor came in and we told him the story and told him we thought it was her time. Her looked her over and said he would like to give her a shot of Dexamethasone and some other meds and she how she did in a few days. If that didn't work bring her back and he would put her down for free.

So we loaded her back up and paid the $182 and back home we went. I know Angela and I was glad she was coming back home but we knew  we would be back in a day or so. We couldn't watch her lay and suffer and wet her self.

Back home we got her comfortable on the floor and we sat in the kitchen and talked about how long we would let her suffer. About a half hour later here she came walking into the kitchen  and we sat and just looked at each other and was shocked. So far she is doing good she will have to be on her meds for the rest of her life.

Friday we worked around the house I fixed a window sill where the dogs over the years had scratched up from barking at anybody that walked by. I also hung some new mini blinds.

Saturday was time to start painting o boy I hate painting.

We have a lot of work to do to get the house ready to sale and I have time to start on it early and not be in a rush at the last minute.

Did I mention how much I hate to paint…..

Sunday back to work at the church… 

ONE DAY CLOSER TO THE DREAM

8 comments:

Dennis and Donna said...

We had a black Lab, age 12. She went down in the backend and lost bowel control. We took her to our Vet and he put her down..I should say our SON took her..Den was working and I was a wet mess. I hope the meds continue to work for your dog..Thinkin' of ya...and lots of memories for us...
PS...It's hotter than a popcorn fart here,too!

Happytrails said...

Your story brought back memories for me too. Last August I had to make that decision about my 18 year old Shih Tzu, Molly. She was just old, deaf, blind and dementia had set in. She was miserable. It was the hardest decision I have ever made. Took alot of love.
I sure hope the meds help Lady and that hard decision is one you can put off. I'm thinking about you all.
Take care!
Mike & Gerri (happytrails)
http://freedom2roll.blogspot.com

Rick said...

Sure great to hear Lady recovered so well. Hopefully, it will be some time yet before her time to say goodbye comes.

ThE MidLiFe CrUiSeR said...

Oh man :( I'm sorry you're having to go through this. These guys are family, and I can't imagine how hard it is to even consider making that decision. I'm happy Lady is doing better with her meds.

Nellie
http://midlifecruiser.blogspot.com

Travels with Emma said...

Tough decision to have to make. Hope she has a little more quality time.

Karyn-Lee said...

I hope Lady recovers. This post reminded me of our dog Missy. She was still walking (rather slowly) and just could not get to the door fast enough before she piddled, so mom made the decision to send her to the Rainbow Bridge.
It was hard, but she was 11 years old, and had a great life. We aren't sure if she was suffering, but she just couldn't manouver anymore and her quality of life had dwindled.
The sad part though, is that my mom held her while the Vet put her down and changed her mind last minute to keep her alive, but it was too late. We all cried buckets of tears after that for a long time. Things are never the same without the furkid.
Take care.
Cheers

Margie M. said...

I hope you guys and Lady can be a family for a few more months at least. She sounds like an awesome friend. You guys really did good! Good luck to all of you.

Sue and Doug said...

every day is a bonus!!...unconditional love is what you get from an animal..if only we were kinder to our humans!!..take care of Lady!..enjoy everyday with her!